Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rainy Days...

I always love rainy days. Mostly I love sleeping through them but if I do have to work I still love them.

Being a "pecan farmer's daughter" I never complain about rain. Even during the summer of 2007 when so much of Clay, Wichita, and surrounding counties were being flooded I did not complain about the rain. (This is mainly due to the fact that I was very pregnant so I would much rather have the rain than the heat.)

However, I do realize that rain is not always good for a pecan crop. Too much rain can cause problems. There are things like weevils and scab that tend to go along with rain that can really damage a pecan crop in a hurry.

A lot of rain also means that we can't run equipment. We don't want to get harvesters, tractors, etc. stuck in the orchard or cause ruts and so forth.

So today as the rain came down, I was reminded how much I love rain but also what it means to pecans. If we get too much rain in the next few days our harvest will be pushed back which means a delay in getting new crop pecans in the store. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

While I will never tell the rain to "go away". I definitely might ask for it to "come again another day"...like say December and June, July, and August.

No comments:

Post a Comment