Thursday, October 13, 2011

30 Year Old Shed Shirt



Thirty years ago, when Mom and Dad opened the Pecan Shed, they did not have a lot of extra money for advertising. Mostly they relied on word of mouth and free media coverage. Mom did try to create a "staff" shirt though...of course back then the staff at the store was her (and when Kathy stopped by for a visit she helped out too).

The shirt I am wearing is 30 years old...yep 30! Mom had it done at a place in the mall. All I know to say is these fuzzy iron-on letters have really stood the test of time! I am not sure what they used to stick them on back then, but I have a feeling it may have been banned at this point...nothing lasts that long anymore!

There have been many times in my life that I have criticized my mom for hanging on to stuff. One such time was when I cleaned out her closet at home...it took me two days and over 13 XLARGE heavy duty black trash bags!

However, I am glad that Mom has held on to a few things...this shirt is one of them. It is a part of history...my history...Dotty's history. Some day I can pass this yellow t-shirt down to either Dotty or Presley (or both...they don't share well now, but hopefully in 10 years they will).

While this shirt doesn't have the ability to tell me stories from 30 years ago, it has been fun to hear those stories from my parents and others. I always took pride in the Pecan Shed and in being a "Montz", but after hearing what my parents sacrificed in order to make our family business not only survive but succeed... I am even more proud of both of them.

Let's just hope Jake and I don't screw this up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment