Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So Much to be Thankful for...

This time of year I am always reminded of how blessed I am. I have many wonderful people in life both personally and professionally.

I am blessed that over 30 years ago my parents decided to open up the Pecan Shed. Through lots of hard work and sheer dedication, they turned a small family business that was literally a "shed" open only a few months a year into what is now a year round business who has customers located all over the world.

I am lucky to get to work with my family...well at least I feel like that on most days! ;) I get to see and talk to my mom and dad on a regular basis and no matter the conversation (good or bad) the call is always ended with an "I love you." Now working with my brother has its ups and downs. Jake and I have grown up a lot in the last few years but we still have moments of sibling unrest. Although if I have to argue with someone it might as well be him...I am after all a professional at it since I have been doing it since I was old enough to talk!

I get to work with a great staff. Many of my staff members have been with me for years. Kathy is one of those great ones! She truly is a second mom to me and my right hand lady at the Pecan Shed. I know I can leave and things are in good hands.

Of course I have tons of great employees that have been around for a while including Tara, the Beckys, Hellen, Desiree, and Tiffany. And my new girls are great too! Holly, Stefanie, Stephanie, Sarah, Angela, and Sierra have all done a great job learning about the pecan business and working hard.

My firemen are great guys. Raymond does our custom cracking and the others do all our buying. I couldn't do it without Max, Brad, Minton, Mat, Ryan, and all the others that fill in as needed! (Especially Mat...he brings us donuts on Saturday mornings!)

Chad and Terry (aka Coach) who work out in Charlie with Dad and Jake are certainly a valuable part of all of this because without all those guys working in our orchards I would not be able to sell such great pecans to my customers. (Plus anyone who can work alongside my dad and my brother is a total saint in my book.)

And speaking of customers...I am so blessed to such a loyal customer base. Some of our customers have been with us since the beginning and many of them have been around for well over a decade. I cannot be thankful enough for the people who continue to purchase pecans from us year after year. Without them none of this would be as successful as it is.

I even have the next generation of Pecan Shed "management" to be thankful for. Presley and Dotty are both growing up so fast. They may just be cousins but they are one heck of a combination when you get them together. Some day they will have the opportunity to take over the Pecan Shed and do with it whatever they see fit. I can only imagine what those two will come up with!

All in all I am one lucky girl. I have a great business that I am a part of...I have great coworkers...and I have a great family...and all those things are intertwined together to make up the Pecan Shed as a whole.

I have been so blessed to grow up in a family business. I have learned every aspect of what it takes to make a business continue to grow and succeed. I have worked with awesome people that have gone on to do great things. I have made lifelong friends. I am blessed beyond measure!

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment