Friday, November 30, 2012

My Best Friend's Wedding

I want to give an advance “Congratulations” to my best friend and part-time Pecan Shed employee Jeri Martin. She will be marrying Jamie Kaspar tomorrow afternoon and I could not be happier for them both!

Jeri and I have been friends since our college days when we worked on a big senior project together. To make a long story short…we stayed up very late for many nights finishing the project in order to get a good grade. Jeri and I were there for each other during a very critical and difficult time in our lives.

That would not be the last time we helped each other get through some rough patches in life. Jeri has been my rock, my sounding board, and my voice of reason. She has been the shoulder I cried on, the one that I laughed with, and the one who was always willing to meet me at On the Border when I needed a drink and a friend.

Jeri has been my early morning workout partner for many years and this past year we completed a half marathon together! We have also served together on the Board of our community service group, the Senior Junior Forum, and we were co-chairs for the Wine and Food Affair of our annual Wine Festival Weekend back in April 2011.

More than anything Jeri is just always there when I need her. When I am short staffed at work or when we have booths at different events, Jeri is always willing to help me out. In fact two years ago Jeri helped out the store a lot by being the weekend fudge-maker for the Pecan Shed. That year Jeri and I worked 49 days straight without a day off! Now if that is not a true friend I don’t know what is!!! Even though Jeri has a very important and demanding real job at the local hospital, she was still willing to give up most of her free time to help me. I could not have made it through that pecan season without her!

I learned many lessons that year. I learned to work “smarter” so I didn’t have to work “harder” and I am proud to say the next year I had things planned out much better so no one had to work a Sunday (although Jeri still made fudge for the store on Saturdays). Woo Hoo! I also learned that I can get through anything with good friends by my side. And I have always known Jeri is one of the best out there. No matter what she has on her plate or what she is going through, I always feel like she will drop everything if I need her. I am so lucky to have her as a best friend.

Even this year Jeri has been a blessing to me. She has been a bit busy with wedding plans so she has not been working at the Pecan Shed this year. But every Friday night she has me over for dinner because she knows two things…#1 I am too tired to cook during pecan season…#2 I don’t cook even when I am not tired. So not only do I get a great meal every Friday night…she makes sure I go home with leftovers too! She is still taking care of me!!!

Jamie is one lucky man…but Jeri is a lucky girl too. They are two pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly together. I am so glad they found each and I can’t wait to be the Maid of Honor tomorrow when their two lives become one. I am so blessed to know them both.

May God bless their marriage and I wish them health and happiness for many, many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment