Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Birthday!


The Pecan Shed turns 29 this year. As for the official "date of birth" for the store I have no idea. My parents don't either and apparently did not keep good enough records to have documented such a thing.

I assume they were just hoping to survive a year when they opened...maybe 5 or 10...and they really had no idea it would last this long or grow this much.

The store originally was located in Byers, TX and was open only a few months during the year. Basically just Mom and Dad ran it with the help of Kathy when things got really busy.

As the business got bigger, my parents decided to relocate to Wichita Falls and stayed open year round. Now during the busiest time of the year the Pecan Shed employs around 15 people. Most are college students and thus we have to accommodate class schedules but we typically need about 10 people working the store at all times. This does not even include all the people that work out in the pecan orchards year round.

So without knowing the "exact date" I just always celebrate the Pecan Shed's birthday in the month of October...pretty much the entire month. This helps to kick off pecan season and it just so happens to be my birthday month as well so it is convenient to remember.

My parents started this company when I was 2 years old (yep...you can do the math...and if you would like to subtract rather than add I will be more than happy to go back to 27). I hope someday Presley and/or Dotty will want to take over the store and who knows...maybe years from now my grandchildren (or maybe even the great grandchildren) will be celebrating 100 years of the Pecan Shed.

They still will have no idea about the actual date the store opened but they can have the celebration in October...any day is fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment