Saturday, May 28, 2016

Time Teller vs. Clock Builder

At the Summit Jim Collins asked the group if we were "Time Tellers" or "Clock Builders". A Time Teller simply tells someone what the time is when they ask. A Clock Builder builds a clock so when another person needs to know what time it is they can look at the clock and figure out what the time is by themselves.

Mr. Collins' point was that in business (especially small businesses) often the owner/founder/head guy or gal in charge does all the time telling and forgets to build the clock. When that happens it can be detrimental to the company. If you are strictly a Time Teller and something happens to you (sickness, family problems, or even death) then your company is in jeopardy. Without you around to "tell the time" so to speak...i.e. tell everyone what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and why we are doing it...there is no one to run the business. If you are a Time Teller then your company may end if you are not around to run it most of the time.

A Clock Builder on the other hands builds his/her business and team in such a way that the business can continue without the Clock Builder around. The Clock Builder makes sure everything is in working order so that everyone can tell the time...not just the Clock Builder. These people make sure that their companies will go on for future generations or at least be able to survive if something were to happen to the Clock Builder.

My parents have been excellent Clock Builders. Dad has shown Jake everything he needs to know about running pecan orchards and Mom has shown me the retail business inside and out. I am not sure they realized they were "clock builders" but they have been some of the best. It started when we were small. Jake naturally went with Dad to the orchards and I went with Mom to the store. Jake learned by watching Dad how to make sure tractors, trees, and team members were all working properly to ensure the best crop possible. I learned by watching Mom interact with the Pecan Shed team members, customers, and vendors just how to run a successful store. We didn't need any national "Take Your Kid to Work Day" to join our parents at their jobs...it was a given we would go.

Often I worry what might happen to the stores if something were to happen to me. I have a lot of knowledge that Dotty simply is not old enough to know. Right now she knows how to stand on a chair behind the counter and ask customers if they need help (which is Customer Service 101) but other than that things like payroll reports, sales tax forms, and health department certificates are all pretty over my sweet little one's head. So often I get tied up in working "in" the business I forget to work "on" the business and that includes showing my upper level team members how to be "me" if ever I can't be around.

I definitely want to improve in this area (and so many more). I need to become not only a second generation pecan retailer but also a second generation "clock builder"! Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock...no time like the present to get started!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment