Thursday, June 9, 2016

Criticism Comes With the Territory

Aristotle said "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

If you have ever achieved anything, won anything, or made anything of yourself personally or professionally you have undoubtedly faced some levels of criticism. Especially in today's age of technology more people feel like they can be blunter and more opinionated about more things thanks to anonymity.

I personally have faced my fair share of criticism in all aspects of my life...everything from the way I color my hair to the way I lead my team to the way I parent my child has been criticized by at least one person at least once. Growing up in a small Texas town, I am pretty used to it. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't still sting even if you get used to it.

My family and our business has also heard criticism over the years. I used to let every comment cut me to my core but over time I have learned to remove my anger from the comment, look to see if there is any truth to it, and then act only if necessary.

Ken Coleman says in his book One Question "Criticism often calcifies its victims, causing them to retrench. But if one remains teachable, words that seem a curse can become a great gift."

Some of my toughest critics have been and some still are my biggest supporters. This list includes but is not limited to...my dad, my basketball coach in high school, several college professors, a few of my closest friends, and all my counselors. Just because someone criticizes you doesn't mean they are waging war with you. Sometimes they are wrong and sometimes they are right. The trick as Coleman said is to remain teachable.

Of course some criticism is just downright mean (especially those who criticize anonymously can be particularly cruel). If that is the case then God gave us an amazing tool to help with that...the delete button! Delete. Delete. Delete.

No comments:

Post a Comment