Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Aren't You the Pecan Shed Kid???

Last night as we were getting up from our table after dinner at a local restaurant, Dotty and I were talking to one another when a man at the table next to us interrupted by asking "Aren't you the Pecan Shed kid from the commercials?"

I looked down to see if I was in a Pecan Shed logo tshirt.  I wasn't.  This guy had a good eye...or a good ear since Dotty had been talking nonstop for the entire meal.

Dotty immediately went into diva mode and smiled brightly at the gentleman as she nodded shyly.  After a few more kind words from the man, Dotty and I turned to leave.  As she spun around with flare, Dotty flipped down her big sunglasses she had perched on her head and walked out of the restaurant mumbling with a grin how she couldn't go anywhere these days without people recognizing her.

I don't have a pecan princess on my hands.  I have a drama queen!

I took the opportunity to remind Dotty once again that we are always to be on our best behavior because we never know who is watching and will associate us with the Pecan Shed.  As part of the Montz family we represent the business 24/7.  I was preached this sermon when I was a kid so often I knew it by heart and I was going to make sure to pass it down to the next generation.

As we drove home though I began to think how we all have to be on our best behavior regardless of who we are or where we work because people are always watching.  Children are watching their parents to see if they say please and thank you like they remind the kids to do all the time.  Students are watching teachers to see if they walk on the grass when the sign says not to.  Employees watch the managers to see if they get to work on time like the handbook clearly states. 

But what about when no one is even around?  How do we behave when the only ones watching us are ourselves and God?  Do we take an extra cookie even though we claim to not be cheating on our diet?  Do we drive the speed limit down the old county road when we are late already?  Do we look at websites we would be ashamed to tell our spouse about? 

The truth is someone is always watching how we behave, what we say, and can even read our hearts and minds.  Scary huh?!  We are that someone!  We know the real us...the person we are when no one else is looking. 

Personally, I am thankful every day that only God can know my thoughts and even then on some occasions I have to ask for forgiveness...okay on more than just some occasions.  I think sometimes people forget (or maybe just forget to care) that they are being watched by others in society, by friends, family members, children, their dog...and of course God.  While they might not represent a family business like I do they still represent a family or at the very least themselves. 

I am known for telling my team that when they wear Pecan Shed shirts they represent the store, the Montz name, and 35 years of hard work so they better be being good.  I think I will start going one step further and remind them when they are not in a Pecan Shed shirt they represent themselves and that is their most important representation of all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment