Thursday, July 28, 2016

Nothing Changes...

Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes.

I read that yesterday and it made me think.

One side of my brain went...Well duh!!!

The other side of my brain went...This is life changing news people!!!!

My brain often does that.  It is like a bad reality tv show going on up there pretty much 24/7.

The part of my brain that was less than impressed knows this simple statement is so obvious a two year old could figure it out.  However the other part of my brain that was utterly amazed by the deepness and complexity of this one thought was sure it took Franciscan Monks years of silence and holy communion with God to come up with such a life altering view.

Isn't that how most things go? 

Often our greatest Oprah "ah-ha" moments end up being the most simplistic ideas.  They were things and ideas we have intrinsically known all along but when someone else says them to us or puts them on Facebook with clouds and a sunrise as the background we are blown away by this seemingly "new" knowledge. 

Nothing changes if nothing changes.  Wow!!!  Still it gets me! 

So often in life I want things to change but I personally resist changing.  So often I want people to change but I don't change my views of them, how I treat them, how I react to them, or even change my stance and just accept them for who they are.  So often I want my past to change but I stay stuck in my same old habits.  This then means my future will be no different from my past.  I could change my ways and thus change what happens in the future (which will someday be the past) but I refuse to most of the time. 

Change is hard.  Change is scary.  Change can hurt. 

Not changing is hard.  Not changing is scary.  Not changing can hurt.

Nothing changes if nothing changes might not be earth shattering information but it is definitely worth putting on a sticky note and sticking it to my bathroom mirror.  And posting it on Dotty's mirror.  And putting it on the dash of my car.  And using it as a tag line for all my emails from this point forward. 

Things do change whether we want them to or not.  We age.  We get grey hair.  We get wrinkles.  We slow down.  We get more grey hair even though we paid good money to color the ones we got last time.  We forget things.  We get aches and pains.  We get more grey hair...dang it. 

I can't permanently change what I see in the mirror because Mother Nature is always going to be there to show me who is in charge, but I can make a big change to what I can't see in the mirror.  I can change my mind, my heart, my attitude, my feelings, my soul...I can change my world. 

We decide if nothing changes.  We decide if we stay where we are or if we move forward or backward.  We decide when and how we change. 

Nothing changes if nothing changes. 

This is life changing news people...duh!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment