Wednesday, July 6, 2016

You've Got Mail...

I have watched "You've Got Mail" probably over two hundred times at least.  Every time it comes on the television when I am flipping through the channels I will stop and watch it to the end no matter how much is left in the show.  I just have to see if Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly will get together in the end again. 

I love this show.  I love watching it.  It makes me happy to sit and watch every minute of this movie.  I love Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.  I love books and movies about books.  I love New York.  I love hearing the old dial up sound (it takes me back to my teenage years).  I simply love it all.

Except for when it is over and I realize I have wasted my time whether it be five minutes or two hours watching a movie I not only know by heart but also own on DVD thus could watch without commercials!!!

Why do we waste so much time on such silly things?  It amazes me how much time I waste a day looking at Facebook, checking my email for the nineteenth time, scrolling through Pinterest, watching boring or pointless tv shows, and so on. 

Even while typing this I have the tv on in the living room and tabs up on the computer screen for Facebook and my email.  My ability to multitask yet still use my time poorly some days is quite amazing. 

I have stacks of books in my room I have not read yet.  I am signed up for Dave Ramsey's EntreLeadership All Access in which there are endless amounts of lessons and eCoaching sessions to listen to.  I have several apps on my phone for motivational podcasts. 

Yet most days unless I am very disciplined I turn to the mind numbing activities.  Why?  Because it is easier to do those.  Because the former ones rarely make me stretch my thoughts, heart, core values, or talents like the latter ones do.  Because it is easy.  Because it is a habit.  Because it is an escape. 

Staying in the now is sometimes hard.  Working on paperwork, payroll reports, book chapters, job descriptions, food journals, laundry, sleep...can all be hard sometimes.  But avoiding them does not make them go away.  A distraction is only temporary and can't last forever.  Like all good movies, they must come to an end. 

Oh and in case you were wondering...Joe and Kathleen did get together again.  Whew!  Roll the credits. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment