Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Whistle Blowers of a Different Kind

When I was younger I played a lot of sports.  We were taught as athletes that our bodies were able to handle a lot more than our minds thought they could.  Our coaches pushed us to the point of muscle failure and body fatigue.  My legs would feel like Jello after practices.  I would have to lean my arm up against the shower wall and move my head back and forth under my hand to wash my hair because I couldn't hold my arms up over my head some days.  We pushed and pushed and pushed ourselves past our breaking points in order to build our bodies back stronger, faster, and better than before. 

During practices, just when I thought I couldn't take another step, that was when I would hear the infamous "On the line!"  As I wobbled to the baseline while sweat poured off my face, I was sure I would fall over any second.  Right before I crumbled to the floor, the whistle would blow. 

From somewhere deep inside, down in a place I didn't know existed, I would find the strength not only to move but to sprint down the court and back again.  This happened over and over and over.  Each time I was amazed my body could function much less run. 

Then when the glorious words "Huddle up!" were said I suddenly had tons of energy and could jog over to where my coach stood.  I had survived!  I had preserved.  I had accomplished a task I doubted my ability to do before, during, and even a little bit after it was done. 

Some days I miss my coaches' styles of encouragement.  They believed in me even when I didn't.  They knew I had more to give when I thought I was spent.  They saw in me and in many others more than I saw we saw in ourselves. 

In the real world we don't have many people who will push us to that breaking point and beyond.  We don't usually know how to push ourselves that far either whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, or otherwise.  At work and at home we usually only push until it begins to get uncomfortable and then we stop.  We don't get back on the line and try again.  We call it quits and head to the metaphorically locker room.  Many of us don't have an internal or external motivator to push us beyond our perceived limits. 

Not too many people still wear a whistle these days.  Perhaps we should all wear one if only to push ourselves a little more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment